The eagle and the shield : a history of the great seal of the United States
Publication date 1978
Usage Public Domain Mark 1.0
Publisher Washington : Office of the Historian, Bureau of Public Affairs, Dept. of State : for sale by the Supt. of Docs., U.S. Govt. Print. Off.
Note that the originally uploaded PDF has bookmarks, links, and consistent page numbers.
Discusses the development and evolution of the Great Seal of the United States along with derived seals such as the Seal of the President, Vice President, Department of State and Supreme Court through three congressional committees (1776, 1780, 1782) and then also the engraving of dies. Biographical sketches are given of some of the various people involved at different points in time.
Also covered is the use of the Great Seal in government documents such as treaties or patents and public displays of the Great Seal such as in paintings and currency.
A question and answer section at the end of the book addresses a variety of different topics including a number of myths and stories concerning the Great Seal.
Ninety-two illustrations are included in this volume.
xliv, 637 pages
- Descriptive List of Illustrations
- I. What Is the Great Seal of the United States?
- II. The First Committee, 1776
- III. The Second Committee, 1780
- IV. The Third Committee, 1782
- V. Thomson and Barton Complete the Design
- VI. Congress Adopts Thomson's Report
- VII. The Die of 1782
- VIII. The Masi Treaty-Seal Die of 1825
- IX. The Throop Die of 1841
- X. The Lewis-Skippet-Cover Mold, Used as a Die in 1871
- XI. The Baumgarten Die of 1877
- XII. The Tiffany Die of 1885
- XIII. The Zeitler Die of 1904
- XIV. The Great Seal in Use Since 1789
- XV. Notable Reproductions of the Obverse and Reverse
- XVI. The Seal of the President
- XVII. The Seal of the Vice President
- XVIII. The Seal of the Department of State
- XIX. The Two Mottoes of the United States
- XX. Questions and Answers
- Publications on the History of the Seal
- Worldcat Subjects:
- United States -- Seal
- Seals (Numismatics)
- United States
Scanning Process: The book was checked out in 2018 from Carlyle Campbell Library at Meredith College in Raleigh, North Carolina and sent to a consumer book scanning service called Blue Leaf Book Scanning. The final output was downloaded and postprocessing was done in Adobe Acrobat Pro DC along with GIMP including the correction of publishing errors (pages out of order and duplicated pages) and the addition of bookmarks and links. The resulting PDF was then uploaded to Internet Archive.
xliv, 637 p. : 26 cm
Bibliography: p. 583-606
Associated-names Dougall, Richardson, 1917- joint author
Ocr ABBYY FineReader 11.0 (Extended OCR)
Scanner Internet Archive HTML5 Uploader 1.6.3
Series Department of State publication., Department and Foreign Service series ;, 161.; Department of State publication, 8900
Worldcat (source edition) 4268298
Full catalog record MARCXML
Uploaded by david.kit.friedman on